Waffle Lady – 2-yr old cat currently available https://www.strayrescue.org/adopt-a-cat
“We celebrate shelter pets on Celebrate Shelter Pets Day, which is observed on December 5 every year. The day brings awareness to pets such as dogs and cats that are in shelters. A lot of people often think of adopting a pet from a shelter home, but they don’t always follow through with that thought because they think there is something wrong with shelter pets. They are wrong. Most people who have adopted shelter pets can testify that shelter groups are full of great pets that provide companionship.” https://nationaltoday.com/celebrate-shelter-pets-day/
Some interesting facts about the day and the founders:
- Celebrate Shelter Pets Day started in 2010 as a collaborative effort among the Humane Society of the U.S., the Ad Council, and Maddie’s Fund.
- The Humane Society of the United States (H.S.U.S.) is a non-profit organization in America that specializes in animal welfare and is against animal cruelty in the country. The organization works on different issues, including companion animals, farm animals, wildlife, and equines. H.S.U.S., based in Washington D.C., was founded in 1954.
- The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was formed in 1824 in Britain, and the women in the association formed the first official animal shelter in the country.
CELEBRATE SHELTER PETS DAY ACTIVITIES
- Support a Shelter – Shelters often rely on donations to feed and care for their pets, and sometimes they run on a tight budget. Money, though, is not the only way to show support. You can donate supplies such as food, litter, or toys.
- Adopt a pet from a shelter – A good way to observe Celebrate Shelter Pets Day is to adopt a pet from a shelter. Adopting a pet is a lifetime commitment that requires planning. Once you have made plans and are ready to make that pet a part of your family, don’t hesitate to go for it.
- Spoil your pet – If you already have a pet that you adopted from a shelter then, today would be a good day to spoil them with treats. You can get them treats, a new bed or anything you think would brighten up their day.